Posted on: November 12, 2020 Posted by: Kimberly Thibodeaux Comments: 0

Chew treats. You’ve probably given dozens of them to your dog and they love them. They clean their teeth and keep them occupied for hours. It’s a perfectly harmless canine treat, right? Wrong. Chew treats can harm or even kill your dog. If you are concerned about your dog’s health read on.

Why are chew treats dangerous?

The two most popular kinds of edible chew treats are those made of rawhide and those made from compressed vegetable protein. When your dog chews these treats, they may swallow large pieces of them.

I know about the dangers of rawhide treats first hand. Several years ago, we gave a rawhide chew to our precious Tye.  Luckily, we were in the room with her as she started to enjoy her treat.  However moments after giving her the rawhide, it was obvious that she was CHOKING on a piece of rawhide that had lodged in her throat. My husband actually had to perform the Heimlich Maneuver to dislodge the rawhide.  Thank God we were there WITH her.

Also, these same pieces of chew treat cannot be digested by your pet and they can become lodged in their intestines. Intestinal blockages can kill your dog in hours. They can cause a condition called intestinal strangulation which is when blood flow is cut off to the intestines. The intestinal tissue then begins to die and rot.

My husband and I have made the decision to never give our pups rawhide chews again, and I would strongly encourage the same for you and your beloved family member.

How do I know if my dog has a blockage?

If your dog has a blockage, you may see some of the following symptoms. They may vomit, refuse to eat, regurgitate food, have diarrhea, or abdominal pain. If your dog has any of these symptoms, you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible. If they get a blockage, it will not clear itself. They will require surgery.

Should I stop giving my dog chew treats?

You do not have to stop giving your dog chew treats altogether. You should however monitor the use of these treats. When you can not be around your pet, take the treats away. When your dog has worn the treats down into small pieces, replace them.

AND, while we are discussing dogs and their treats–never never never EVER give your dogs chicken bones! These bones can splinter as the dogs chew and swallow, and those pieces can quickly perforate your pup’s intestinal walls and lead to a very serious situation–even death.

Remember, as a pet owner it is your responsibility to look after your dog’s health. We all love our pets and it would be a shame to lose them over something as simple as a chew treat. So keep a watchful eye on your pet and help them live a long and happy life.

Leave a Comment